Embed the Pathway Coaching Event
The talent team at sports coach UK were asked by the Rugby Football League to support the NGB to launch the “Embed the Pathway” programme at Leigh Sports Village, Lancashire on the Saturday 12 October 2013. We were keen to support the event as this was a clear example of a NGB having a targeted approach to the Talent Development process and 47 coaches attended.
The event was launched by Dave Rotheram (National Player Development Manager) and sports coach UK’s Andrew Gillott highlighting the key messages around Talent and utilising the Goldmine video.
The coaches were then introduced to the video process that the Talent team have developed with Dartfish which involves the coach being filmed and miked up.
Dave was filmed coaching a group of young players on the pitch (thankfully the weather was dry) and the coaches in the stand could hear Dave’s coaching delivery.
After the session the coaches were able to view the session on a big screen to unpick some of the delivery and were encouraged to ask questions about the session.
The final part of the day consisted of the attendees being divided into two groups to receive a coaching session outside with Linda Low (National Coach Education Manager Performance and Coaching) and a “Creating a Positive coaching environment” presentation by myself.
The day was really well received:
- 83% rated the event and quality of speakers as excellent
- 76% stated that the usefulness of the onfield session was excellent.
The qualitative responses are also positive and perhaps best summed up by the response to How will you use what you have learnt to contribute towards developing more and better players for the game of Rugby League?
“Educate other coaches at my club” and “Involvement of all players”
They are currently planning another session in Yorkshire in January\February, so look out for more information if you are interested.
They are also looking to develop other opportunities to work with sports coach UK, and work within the regions looking at:
- The relative impact/value of coach developer(s) in the effectiveness of a coach intervention
- Possible proof that embedded coach developer input (and associated tools) has a positive impact on coach behaviour
- Does the ETP programme actually start to change coach behaviour within the delivery (more coachability & mental focus, less game?)
- Is there an impact on the profiles of players coming through the programme in relation to their psycho/social abilities?