What is The UKCC?
Written by Steve McQuaid, Head of Coach Education & Development
The UKCC is a development framework that supports the:
- development of governing body of sport coach-education programmes
- endorsement of governing body of sport coach-education programmes
- continuous improvement of governing body sport coach-education programmes
Developing Coach-Education Programmes
- The UKCC provides a structure to evolve a governing body of sport’s coach-education programme. It covers:
- The qualification structure and the quality-assurance of deliverers
- The coaches’ learning experience (learning programme)
- The make-up of the coach-education workforce (tutors, assessors etc)
- Learning resources used (books, websites, DVDs etc)
Endorsement of Coach-Education Programmes
- To gain UKCC endorsement a governing body of sport must demonstrate a certain level of development in their coach-education programme based on the areas listed above. This is determined against a set of endorsement criteria. The endorsement process is an objective and developmentally focused process, and offered at no cost to the sports being endorsed.
Continuous Improvement of Coach-Education Programmes
- Once a governing body coach-education programme has received UKCC endorsement the focus of the UKCC is the continuous improvement of the governing bodies coach-education offer. This development considers the needs of the sport and its coaches.
The UKCC is not one-size-fits-all and is implemented according to the specific characteristics and needs of each sport. A UKCC-endorsed coach-education programme is first and foremost a governing-body programme that is developed by the governing body, with the support and development of their coaches in mind.