Coaching in the UK

Sector Specific Qualification for the Coach Education Workforce: Survey findings

Mon, 04 Nov 2013

In July 2013 sports coach UK undertook a survey with its partners to establish the demand for a sector-specific qualification for the Coach Education Workforce – specifically those who develop and/or manage coach-education programmes.

The ambition being to create a low-cost/high-impact education/training package for 10-20 learners each year that is:

  • quality assured
  • credible and valued
  • intelligence led
  • accredited
  • nationally recognised

With over 40 respondents from governing bodies of sport, county sports partnerships and other national partners what follows is a summary of their views:

Who responded?

  • Whilst the survey was anonymous 74% of respondents stated they were responding on behalf of their organisation the remaining 26% indicated they were responding as in individual.

What would you like the above to ‘qualify’ you/the learner to be able to do?

Common themed responses are summarised below:

  • develop and manage coach education processes and systems (inc. quality assurance)
  • develop professional practice (e.g. coach educator and trainer skills)
  • develop coach education and learning experiences (inc. qualification design and development, resource design and development)
  • design and development of workforce training programmes/professional development opportunities (inc. mentoring)
  • Project design/management of sports development research

Other areas indicated:

development of the individual in a leadership role (change management etc); UK and international coach education systems/frameworks; promotion of education programs; working with other technical experts.

What is the demand?

  • 43% of respondents felt there was a demand for a formal qualification, with 57% preferring non-formal un-accredited training
  • 28 respondents indicated that they would like to enrol 1-2 people per year, with 5 respondents indicating that they would enrol up to 10 learners.

What would you pay?

  • 43% would pay £201-£300, with 29% saying they wouldpay £100-200, more interestingly was that around 28% of respondents indicated they would pay between £301-600.

Format

  • When asked to rate their preference for delivery method, face to face workshops were ranked highest with 75% of respondents choosing this method. This was followed by online learning modules, ranked second in the list (with 52%) and reflective practice third (with 42%).
  • 42% of respondents would be prepared to commit 2-4 days per year and 46% of respondents would commit 5-8 days.
  • 37% and 31% of respondents respectively felt single or two day events separated by 6-8 weeks of supported practice was the best model of delivery.

Add to My Folder