sports coach UK signs up to the Mental Health Charter for Sport and Recreation
Tue, 19 May 2015
Marking the end of this year’s Mental Health Awareness Week, sports coach UK has become the latest organisation to sign up to the Mental Health Charter for Sport and Recreation as part of our ongoing commitment to equality and inclusion.
The Sport and Recreation Alliance, alongside the Professional Players Federation and with support from the mental health charity Mind, has created the Mental Health Charter for Sport and Recreation to use the power of the sport and recreation sector to make the environment welcoming, positive and inclusive for everyone.
sports coach UK is committed to working with our partners to promote mental health and wellbeing and recognises the positive effect that playing sport can have on mental and physical health. The Charter outlines six actions for the sector to work towards and organisations signing up to the Charter will:
- Use the power of sport and recreation to promote wellbeing, with a special focus on encouraging physical activity and social interaction for their contribution to good mental health.
- Publicly promote and adopt good mental health policies and best practice within our sports and recreational activities.
- Promote positive public health messages using diverse role models and ambassadors to reduce the stigma attached to mental health problems.
- Actively tackle discrimination on the grounds of mental health to ensure that everyone is treated with dignity and respect.
- Support the establishment of a pan-sport platform to work closely with the mental health sector to develop and share networks, resources and best practice.
- Regularly monitor our performance, assess progress and take positive action on mental health issues
sports coach UK is currently working towards the Intermediate level of the Equality Standard for Sport and is already signed up to the Mindful Employer Charter demonstrating our commitment to supporting staff experiencing mental health issues.
We have also developed a range of resources to support coaches in applying mindfulness to coaching, including:
- Our free Research Summary which gives practical activities coaches can use to help their players understand mindfulness.
- Our workbook which is packed with examples to help coaches create a positive coaching environment. This can help determine which techniques will be most beneficial to each coach.
- Our Positive Behaviour Management in Sport workshop, allowing coaches to practise these techniques in a comfortable environment.
We look forward to working with organisations signed up to the Charter and with other partners and coaches to ensure that coaching continues to provide positive experiences of sport and promote good mental and physical health and wellbeing.Add to My Folder